Thursday, April 16, 2015

Constructed Self- Portrait



This is a famous self- portrait of Ansel Adams, He took this photo in a Victorian Mirror in Atherton, California. For this assignment, I had to take a famous self- portrait and with using a program such as Photoshop, I had to place my self-portrait and something I like in it. Can you see the possible additions? I added in a Coca- Cola bottle that I had actually purchased and drank the night before. I love Coca- Cola, it is one of my favorite drinks. Although I love Dr. Pepper as well, I grew up with a “coca-holic” mother –Is what we call her— and despite the health factor, she always allowed us to drink right along with her (Coca- Cola of course). Also, I love Ansel Adams’ work; that is why I placed myself right next to him smiling.  Even though I am personally a digital photographer, I love working with black and white. It makes it more challenging to get the photo just right and with all of the rare values you can play with makes it unique. I have never seen one photo that Ansel had taken that I do not like and say WOW! It amazes me, even in a generic self- portrait such as this one, I am still blown away by all of the values of white and black. To get the photo to be the way it is, I brought the original photograph, a recent photo of me and my photograph of the Coca- Cola bottle and used masks in Photoshop to single out the bottle and myself. Then I used an adjustment layer to turn the bottle and I into black and white and bring up the contrast and brightness to create more values. I had fun with doing this because it was as if I were stepping into his photograph and way right there with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment