Thursday, May 14, 2015

Week 6 EOC: How has art changed you?


I grew up in a not so great family. Life was always crazy growing up. When I was first told about and shown art, it gave me a sense of peace. It taught me to always have an open mind and never loose sight of what your plans and goals are. It was my grandma who first stepped into this world with me. Without art, I may have easily lost myself in the chaos and destruction my family who seems to be cursed. Literally art has saved me. It did not only change me, but it also has changed my life. As I grew closer to this thing called art, I was able to learn the importance of life; I was able to see things in a different way than before and grow in self confidence and everything else that is important to who I am now. I learned about art at a young age. It still sometimes seems a little strange to me; because art held me together, I was able to hold my family together. I was able to confidently stand up for us, past all of the rumors, obstacles, and threats. I would not be who I am without art, therefore I am very grateful that my grandma was able to expose this to me at the age she had. I still remember sitting with her in her small run- down apartment. We took some of the shells from her shell collection and put them together to look like a rocket shooting off of a beach (we thought was what looked like a little piece of Florida). That is as best as I can put it, art has saved me and because it did so, I was able to somewhat save my family too. I will never stray from the path of art, it is within me; it is part of me and who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment